Package Includes: 1 x A4988 driver Stepper Motor Driver
- Minimum operating voltage: 8V
- Maximum operating voltage: 35V
- Continuous current per phase: 1 Amp
- Maximum current per phase: 2 Amp
- Minimum logic voltage: 3V
- Maximum logic voltage: 5.5V
- Microstep resolutions: Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/1 6
A4988 Module is a Smaller and Cheapest breakout board for Allegro's A4988 Stepper Motor Driver. It has many advantages including adjustable current limiting, over-temperature and over-current protection. It has five different stepping resolution and has a wide operating voltage range from 8 volts to 35 volts and can deliver current up to 1 Amp per phase.
The A4988 is a complete micro-stepping motor driver with built-in translator for easy operation. It is designed to operate bipolar stepper motors in full-, half-, quarter-, eighth-, and sixteenth-step modes, with an output drive capacity of up to 35 V and ±2 A. The A4988 Motor Driver includes a fixed off-time current regulator which has the ability to operate in Slow or Mixed decay modes.
The translator is the key to the easy implementation of the A4988. Simply inputting one pulse on the STEP input drives the motor one micro-step. There are no phase sequence tables, high-frequency control lines, or complex interface to program. The A4988 interface is an ideal fit for applications where a complex microprocessor is unavailable or is overburdened. During stepping operation, the chopping control in the A4988 automatically selects the current decay mode, Slow or Mixed.
In Mixed decay mode, the device is set initially to a fast decay for a proportion of the fixed off-time, then to a slow decay for the remainder of the off-time. Mixed decay current control results in reduced audible motor noise, increased step accuracy, and reduced power dissipation.
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Five different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, quarter-step, eighth-step, and sixteenth-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout, and crossover-current protection
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB